Friday, January 11, 2008

Not again! (resolved)

So, we took the Corsica over to Ernie and Eli at A&E Diagnostic to have it looked over.

Easton Auto Body replaced the sensor at a much higher price than Ernie would have charged. In fact, they charged me $75 just for the part and Ernie said that the part shouldn't have cost even close to that, nevermind what they over charged for labor.

Easton Auto Body also left the old sensor under the hood. You know, rather than just putting it in the damn trash can.

Easton Auto Body said that they had to unplugged the torque converter solenoid in my transmission. Which led me to think that my car is basically on its last leg. I figured if the transmission is going bad, this car isn't worth putting anymore money into.

They guys we trust said that they never did anything to my transmission. The transmission is fine, actually. In fact, Ernie thought that the only reason I really have to start looking for a newer car is simply the fact that the Corsica is starting to get old. Clean bill of health for the car and nothing that looks like it would be a problem even anytime soon.

Although, there is always the chance that something weird might happen, like when the ABS sensor just fell apart.

So, no long term guarantees, but the car is safe to drive. Also, Easton Auto Body is either lying, thieving jerks, or they're incompetent. I would tend to lean toward the lying part, only because there were at least 2 outright lies that we caught them in.

(Also, the downshifting thing was apparently paranoia on my part. They didn't notice a problem when they road tested it at A&E and I haven't noticed it since then either.)

The moral of the story is: take your car to the mechanic you trust. If you break down in the Allentown area, go to A&E Diagnostic - they're good guys over there. If you break down in Easton, for the love of all that is good in the world, don't let Easton Auto Body work on your car.

No comments: