Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Holy Crap, or the biggest zucchini EVER!

So, I got out of work early today, we're short payroll, so I volunteered. Anyway, I'm trying to find constructive, but small things to do because I don't want to be caught up in some humongous project when Carl comes home, which could be any minute, or in two hours, that's sort of how working for family goes.

Anyway, I looked out the back door and noticed, among other things that the weeds are ridiculous and there are MORE TOMATOES! How is that possible? It's September! And not only are there still ripe ones, there are still green ones! AND BLOSSOMS! What the hell!

I know I plant tomatoes because they do really well, and don't get me wrong we are getting pretty small ones. Not cherry tomato small, but think smallish plum tomatoes. But I have in complete honesty picked roughly 200 tomatoes already this year. I made a quart of homemade sauce, two quarts of salsa fresca, a huge mixing bowl full of bruschetta and have given away in the neighborhood of 75 more. And I just picked about 35 more.

And that's not the best part! I picked all of the tomatoes I could reach from the sidewalk, well until my bowl was full and then I went in the house for another bowl. When I went back outside, I decided to sneak around the back of the grill and pick from the other end, so I could get a better look at my broccoli while I was out there.

But I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I knew that my zucchini was still blooming, but I didn't realize another zucchini had actually started. I've given two away already, a large but still basically normal sized one and one that was huge - especially considering two days earlier I had looked at it and thought it needed about a week before I could pick it.

There was a zucchini that is hands down the biggest zucchini I have ever seen. And my friend Tony used to pick 5 pounders regularly. The thing is as big as the cat and weighs probably around half as much. I'm guessing not less than 6 lbs.

With absolutely no exaggeration the thing is 16 inches long and better than a foot in diameter! It look more like a bludgeoning weapon than a vegetable. The cat is actually afraid of it!

No comments: