Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Photo Journal: Basic Teddy Bear

So a friend posted on Facebook about a week and a half ago about a young woman who had died in childbirth, leaving behind a newborn son and a 3 year old daughter. Even though, I didn't know her, I decided that I wanted to make something for the kids. So I've been working on a couple of small projects for them for about a week now. I finished the last item last night.

Perhaps it was a bit opportunistic of me, but I also took pictures of the teddy bear along the way, so I could share a little bit of the design process.



Day 1: two of the legs are done and a start on a third. Mostly when I make bears, I stick with making the legs are arms the same. I'm working the bear in Loops and Threads - Country Loom, Shale. It works up pretty similar to Lion Brand's Homespun, but a bit chunkier.



Day 2: All the legs/arms are finished. Legs are joined together and body is started. Tail is complete (it's worked right in over the course of 2 rounds).

Tail: add ch 7, just before the join of desired row (start a row lower than you'd like the tail to end up. on next row, sc in ea ch, and join on next row, skip tail sts and join to first sc of row.

It does leave a very small hole in the bear's bottom, but if it bothers you, you can always sew it closed.



Day 3: Most of a bear. Body is stuffed, head is started. I'm trying to get this one done as soon as possible for someone, so I've been working like a madwoman. (Also, I was up way to late watching old episodes of a favorite TV show.)



Day 4: Bear is finished. Ears are the only part that required sewing on. Face is embroidered in plain old Red Heart Super Saver in whatever the Dark Brown I had laying around is. Ready to be mailed out!

No comments: