Thursday, July 17, 2008

A couple of points.

First and foremost, no more physical therapy! I do have to continue with the exercises and I have another follow up with the orthopedic in 3 months, but otherwise that's it. Brace as needed and back to real life!

Also picked up She & Him: Volume One today. Now, I'm not particularly impressed with Zooey Deschanel as an actor, but I do have to say, this CD is great! Talk about a surprise find. It had gotten a pretty good review in Rolling Stone, but I always take that with a grain of salt, because RS gives glowing reviews to a lot of stuff I would never listen to - let alone buy - simply because I tend to avoid Hip Hop, Electronica, Industrial and that kind of stuff.

This is really good though. Folksy, bluesy, mostly originals. There's a somewhat uninspiring cover of "You Really Got a Hold on Me" but really, even that isn't bad, it's just a little more laidback than what I think of when I think of that song. The cover of "I Should Have Known Better" is pretty good, too. Although, I have to day, with all honesty, I greatly prefer the original stuff.

"Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" and "I Thought I Saw Your Face Today" are definitely favorites. And a surprise inclusion of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" was certainly appreciated. I've always loved that songs ability to be anything from a funeral dirge to a big band-style dance number. I'll probably listen to this until I've driven everyone around me crazy, like I did when I bought Minnie Driver's latest CD. (Which was incredible!)

Also, I've discovered that Jardinains 2 is out! If you got even the slightest kick out of games like "Super Breakout" or any of the other Breakout clones, definitely check it out. I haven't gotten the chance to play this edition, but original is great. As with the original, there's a free edition and one with a price tag that's got some extras and bonuses.

If you haven't heard of Jardinains before, the best way to sum it up is this: breakout, populated by foul-tempered garden gnomes. They throw flower pots at your paddle, dance to the music, and just generally make the game hilarious. (The original Jardinains features a sped up, cartoonish version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" as background music.)

Go check it out, and if you have more money that I do, spring for the paid version. If it's half as good as the first game, it'll be well worth it.

No comments: