Thursday, November 8, 2007

*sigh* hate building mechanics

So I'm trying to come up with anything that even resembles a workable mechanic for the short story game. I've got something I kind of like, but Carl doesn't like the way I want to use fudge dice. He said it's not that it's bad, it's just that it's not what they're supposed to be used for.

I said "So? Besides, you don't have any and it would be any excuse to get some." The responsible adult in him wanted to say no, but the gamer in him couldn't argue with an excuse to buy more dice.

I clarified my explanation and I think that he would be willing to give it a shot. I want to use them to represent stress. The characters in this game will have all sorts of abilities, but very little practice with them outside of a classroom setting. I want to use the fudge dice to make it so that you can fail your roll and still pull something off, or pass your roll and do too well.

The example I gave was this: Ok, your character took a class in Pyrokinesis, so she can, in theory throw fire balls. She rolls, hits her target number. But she's never done this outside of class. She rolls her fudge die (or dice) and they come up all positives. Over-successful result. She doesn't throw a fireball so much as she shoots a laser beam through her target, and the guy behind him, and the guy behind that, her buddy behind him and so on.

Basically the dice dictated that she panicked.

I like that idea, I just need to work it out so it's not so messy.

Dave will be here shortly, I'm gonna run it by him. See what he thinks and maybe run it past the whole game group on Monday, if I don't work.

No comments: